Our Ford Transit Camper Van Conversion
Introducing our DIY Ford Transit camper van conversion, with in-depth and comprehensive documentation of the build process. Follow along to make your own van! Built from hard work, basic tools, patience, and a bit of naivety… We had ups, we had downs, it was harder and longer than we expected, but in the end, WE DID IT (and so can you) and we’re super proud of what we accomplished!
We obsessively documented the entire conversion process in our Build Journal: products, materials, tools, build techniques, lessons learned, etc. The progression is presented chronologically (pretty much in the same order as we built our van). Let’s get down to business!
More Info On Our Ford Transit Camper Van Conversion:
We’ve got all the angles! 3D interactive tour, photos, videos… Welcome home, make yourself comfortable!
Creating a 3D model helped us plan and validate our layout, so we only built once!
We tracked all the cost and labor time we invested in our van, and organized it by category.
Turns out weight ads up very quickly! Most van conversions like ours are near the GVWR.
We are also tracking all the maintenance and repair cost since day 1 of ownership.
Heads Up: We Got A New Van!
Life is about projects, so here is an exciting new project for us!
We got a new van! The plan is to settle down in Squamish for a year or so, build the new van, explore our new amazing backyard and keep a healthy balance between working on the van and riding (ski & bike).
Then, once the new van conversion is completed, our dream is to ship the new van to Europe and explore new horizons. Long term plans are volatile these days, but finger crossed it all works out in the end!
As we progress in our build, we will update our Build Journal.
Learning and Knowledge
IN-DEPTH, FACT-BASED GUIDES.
BUILD YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS.
Tools and Calculators
CREATED TO MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER.
MADE WITH love FROM OUR VAN!
Van Electrical Calculator
- Size your battery bank, solar, alternator, shore, and inverter automagically or manually.
- The calculator generates an items list that entirely defines your electrical system! Simply add the items to your Amazon cart.
- Download, customize, and wire all your items per your wiring diagram.
Wire Gauge Calculator
- Using the correct wire gauge is essential for the SAFETY and PERFORMANCE of your electrical system.
- The correct wire gauge depends on LENGTH and CURRENT carried by the conductor.
- Our wiring diagram already has a built-in gauge calculator. But for anything outside the scope of our wiring diagram, use this:
- A simple tool to find out how much insulation you need to buy!
- For a lot of fellow like us, finding insurance for a DIY camper van can be very challenging and frustrating, especially for full time Vanlife. Insurers don’t really understand what we do, and are reluctant to help us.
- Good news: the crew behind Outdoorsy (the Airbnb of campervan rental) recently founded an insurance company aimed at the RV and DIY Camper Van community: ROAMLY.
- Give them a try, better start thinking about it early in the process. It takes just a few seconds to complete their Free Online Quote form; nothing to loose!
Cargo Holes Dimensions
We mapped and categorized all holes found in the Ford Transit cargo area, as well as all the threaded inserts you should use. Presented in an immersive 360° virtual tour, because the future is now!