Our propane tank being located into a sealed locker (safety first!), it’s not exactly convenient to check the propane level. Fortunately we stumble upon the Mopeka TankCheck Sensor: this neat device allows to monitor the level of propane from our smartphone. Nice!
Before we installed the Propex HS2000 heater we had about 2 months autonomy, but using the Propex heater obviously reduced that to a few weeks. Therefore it became more important to monitor the level more frequently.
What we Like
- The signal is strong enough to pass through the propane locker (wood is fine, metal is probably not)
- The sensor works on 20, 30, 40 lbs DOT cylinders and on horizontal RV tanks
- Multiple sensors (for multiple tanks) is supported
- Clean and intuitive interface
What we Don’t Like …
- Nothing to see here!
Models & Where to Buy
There are two options here:
1- Sensor only
If only the sensor is bought, a smartphone is used as monitor. (that’s the option we went for)
2- Sensor and Monitor
No smartphone needed with this option.
1- Install the spacers and the sensor at the bottom of the tank:
- The sensor holds with magnets
- The spacers are required to create a gap between the tank and the floor, to ensure the signal pass through.
2- From your smartphone app store, search for “Mopeka Tank Check” and install it.
3- Open the app and click on “Start Scan”
4- On the sensor, hold the “Sync” button for about 5 seconds. The sensor is now paired to the app!
5- The settings (upper-right end of the screen) allows to
- Rename each sensor (if you have multiple sensors)
- Define the tank size for accurate reading
- Set an alarm threshold
- Change the display units (Percent, Inches, Centimeters)
- Unfortunately the Update Rate is not configurable
If you followed the installation instructions above, all you have to do is open the app to check the level!
So we just installed the sensor (January 2018), we will notify you if anything goes wrong! Subscribe to our Mailing List to be notified.
Manufacturer Website Help Section:
Thanks for reading!
You Might Be Interested In: