So this FarOutThing is really going to happen… the Ford Transit van was ordered at the dealer today! We’re VERY excited, we actually want to leave NOW, but there is a lot of work ahead of us for the conversion to a camper van before the trip happens. Keep Calm and wait, the Transit should be delivered in 6 to 8 weeks if everything goes as planned. Things rarely goes as planned, so we’re thinking 3 months (end of May) before the Transit is ours (**edit: actual delivery date was June 6th 2016).
2016 Transit Van 250, Extended Length, High Roof Height, 3.7L Ti-VCT V6 Engine, 6-Speed SelectShift® Automatic Transmission – O/D, SRW (Body Code: R3X)
Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package
User-Defined Factory-Installed Upfitter Switches
Dual Heavy-Duty Batteries
Fixed Rear-Door Glass and Flip-Open Passenger-Side Cargo-Door Glass
Modified Vehicle Wiring System
Remote Keyless Entry Keypad
Spare Tire and Wheel
Trailer Wiring Provisions
Power Heated Mirrors with Turn Signals
16-Inch Steel Wheels with Full Silver Wheel Cover
235/65R16 BSW All-Season Tires
Sliding Passenger Side Door
Cruise Control with Message Centre
Front Carpet Floor Covering
AM/FM Stereo with Audio Input Jack
Pewter Gray Cloth, 2-Way Manual Driver and Front-Passenger
A few tips for ordering a new Ford Transit at a dealership…
There are a lot of options available. By the time you are ready to order, you will probably know more about the Transit than the salesman himself. Some options are prerequisite to others. The Ford ordering system at the dealership is not user-friendly at all. All of this make the process of getting quotes and making the actual order very painful. To make sure you get exactly what you want, do as follows:
- Build your Transit through the Ford website (Canada or USA).
- Some options are prerequisite to others; for example the heavy-duty 230 amp alternator is mandatory to the heavy-duty dual batteries. The website will guide you smoothly through that, as opposed to the Ford system (or salesman) at the dealership.
- Print the pdf file with all features and options chosen.
- Retrieve all the optional equipment order codes here and make a list.
- The website (step 1) does not list all the optional equipment. There are more options to choose from on the document listed at step 3 above. Review them prior to get to the dealer to ensure you don’t miss anything.
- The salesman needs to enter these codes to make the order; the Ford system is very, very confusing and not user-friendly (as opposed the Ford website builder). Expect your Transit order to be incomplete or inaccurate if you do not review them at the time of order at the dealership. For example, if you ask to get the 3.73 axle ratio with the 3.7 engine Extended-Length, it will automatically gives you the 2000$ “Ambulance Package” and you have to start over…
- Bring your lists at the dealership, make the order sheet with the salesman and review the codes thoroughly before leaving.
- We’re not there yet, but here is the general timeline from order to delivery:
- Customer make order at dealer
- Dealer make order at Ford (about 1 week after customer order)
- Dealer receive VIN (about 2-4 weeks after dealer order)
- Window Sticker is available with projected build date (about 3-7 weeks after VIN is received)
- Build completion (about 2 weeks after Window Sticker is available)
- Transit delivery (about 4-6 weeks after build completion for High-Roof & Medium-Roof)
- When VIN is received, check on Research Maniac for your Transit Window Sticker. The window sticker will show up only when a build date is scheduled and the dealer is billed. The window sticker will show the projected build date.
- When the build starts at the Kansas plant, check on Ford Etis website for the actual build date and status.
As of 12 February 2016, the waiting game begins!
Here is the actual timeline (will be updated when event occur):
- February 12th 2016: Order made at the dealer
- March 24th 2016: VIN received
- May 3rd 2016: Window Sticker available
- May 12th 2016: Ford Etis Build date available (Build Date 11.05.2016)
- June 6th 2016: DELIVERED!
STAY IN TOUCH!
Join 2,500+ followers via Facebook, Instagram or e-mail:
Hello! We’re Isabelle and Antoine, a couple dreaming of being on the move and we’re seeking for the ride of our life. We bought a Ford Transit van, we’re converting it to a campervan and we are now selling our house to make our dream a reality. We are sharing this in hope of inspiring and helping others to follow their dreams too!